Local History

The parish of Broad Hinton sits at the head of the Kennet valley on the edge of the chalk clay escarpment and amply qualifies as one of the "chalk and cheese" parishes supplying both corn and cattle. It has arguably, some of the richest soil in North Wiltshire.

It is and was an agricultural parish and although only artefacts and burials tell us man was using the land thousands of years ago, the production of crops was probably the major industry even then.

The fact that the Ridge Way forms the south-eastern boundary must have been a great boon to the movement of people and produce.

The parish is mentioned in the Domesday Book of A.D. 1086 as "Hentone", which had evolved by A.D. 1319 into Brodenhenton, presumably to differentiate it from the other Hintons in the area. The village came into being on the merger of two hamlets and medieval estates of Hinton Columbers and Hinton Wase with the centre being around the present parish church.

By the late eighteenth century, the modern pattern of village and road system had been established and farms and farmers became the mainstay of the economy.

Terrapart operates from premises with a business and commercial heritage that can be dated back to the early eighteenth century and was originally the site of the village Blacksmith.


white horse wiltshire
Avebury stone circle
Terrapart crop circle
silbury hill